The Latest: Saints QB Drew Brees donating another $5 million

first_img July 27, 2020 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Saints quarterback Drew Brees and his wife, Brittany, say they’re donating $5 million toward a partnership with a Louisiana health care provider to build “numerous” health centers in economically struggling communities around the state. The series will now run doubleheaders at Mid-Ohio, in the St. Louis area, and at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The series will run Aug. 8-9 at Mid-Ohio; Aug. 29-30 at World Wide Technology Raceway; and Oct. 2-3 at the IMS road course.IndyCar is still scheduled to run 14 races this season.___The NCAA has reduced the minimum number of contests required of Division I fall sports teams, excluding football, by 50% this season.The decision by the Division I Council coordination committee to grant a blanket waiver for any school that needs it affects men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s soccer, field hockey, men’s water polo and women’s volleyball teams. Associated Press The Latest: Saints QB Drew Brees donating another $5 million MAAC Commissioner Rich Ensor says there are simply too many factors that prohibit the conference from safely delivering a competitive atmosphere. A decision on whether fall sports competition would be feasible in the spring will be determined by the conference presidents at a later date. MAAC student-athletes whose seasons have been canceled will still be permitted to train when they return to campus, and institutions will be responsible for implementing their own training guidelines in accordance with state and local COVID-19 regulations and guidance provided by the NCAA.The Collegiate Commissioners Association is working with the NCAA on a series of waivers related to fall sports eligibility and competition.___IndyCar is set for another schedule revamp, with races scheduled for Portland International Raceway and a doubleheader weekend at Laguna Seca in California both canceled.center_img ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Some conferences, like the Big Ten and Pac-12, have already announced they will play nothing but conference schedules in their fall sports.The oversight committee also agreed to suspend the criterion requiring teams to have at least a .500 record to be considered for at-large selections into a championship field. A previous decision by the Division I Council allows conferences to determine how their automatic qualifiers are chosen for NCAA championship events up to two weeks prior to selections.___The National Hockey League reported zero players tested positive for the coronavirus last week.The league says it administered a total of 4,256 tests to more than 800 players from July 18-25. Two players tested positive during the first week of training camps July 13-17. Players and staff from the 24 teams participating in the expanded Stanley Cup playoffs traveled to the hub cities of Toronto and Edmonton, Alberta, on Sunday. They’re now in a quarantined bubble and will be tested daily after every other day testing during camp.___The NASCAR weekend in late August at Dover International Speedway will take place without fans.Delaware state officials denied the track’s request to host a limited number of fans Aug. 21-23 in the interest of public health and safety. The track is to host a NASCAR Xfinity Series and NASCAR Cup Series on Saturday and Sunday of that weekend.NASCAR has run race weekends without fans with limited exceptions, notably at tracks in Tennessee and Texas. Brees said in his announcement on social media that the first center will be built later this year in eastern New Orleans in partnership with Ochsner Health. This marks the second multimillion donation Brees has made to benefit Louisiana since the coronavirus pandemic spread to the United States. In March, he donated $5 million to assist food banks in the state as people began losing jobs because of businesses closures or staff reductions stemming from government restrictions aimed at curbing the virus’ spread.Louisiana, with a population of nearly 4.7 million, has been hard hit by the virus. As of Sunday, state health department figures showed a total of 107,574 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 3,651 deaths.___The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference has decided to cancel fall sports competition due to continuing health and safety concerns surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. last_img read more

Joe McKnight, former USC star running back, killed in Louisiana shooting

first_imgHe was touted as the next Reggie Bush, a top running back recruit out of high school and one of the most hyped players to enter the USC pipeline.Joe McKnight, who spent three seasons at USC and had an NFL career that spanned four years, was shot and killed in an apparent road rage incident in Terrytown, Louisiana, a New Orleans suburb near McKnight’s hometown of Kenner on Thursday afternoon, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office. He was 28.Police identified the shooter as 54-year-old Ronald Gasser, who was released overnight without charges despite admitting to pulling the trigger. In a press conference on Friday, Jefferson Parish sheriff Newell Normand cited “relative statutes that provide defenses to certain crimes” for Gasser’s release. Normand said police were still looking for witnesses and declined to provide further details of the ongoing investigation.“I don’t want to be accused of tainting this investigation or suggesting a story about this investigation to witnesses we have not located and talked to,” Normand said.A witness told The Times-Picayune that she saw McKnight in an confrontation with another man at an intersection and attempting to apologize when the other man opened fire.“I told you don’t you f— with me,” the man said before shooting McKnight again, according to the witness.Normand disputed the witness’ claims that McKnight apologized to Gasser before being shot and that Gasser stood over McKnight. All of the shots were fired by Gasser from his car, according to Normand.Normand also shot down claims that race played a factor in the decision to release Gasser, who is white.A five-star recruit out of John Curtis High School in River Ridge, Louisiana, McKnight accrued 2,755 yards and 15 touchdowns over three seasons at USC. Though he never replicated Bush’s success, McKnight came into his own as a dependable tailback.Joe McKnight, a former star running back at USC, was shot and killed in Lousiana on Thursday – Mike Lee | Daily TrojanAs a freshman, he played a key role in the Trojans’ 2008 Rose Bowl win over Illinois when he ran for 125 yards and averaged 12.5 yards on 10 carries, including a key 65-yard second half run.“Let Jan. 1, 2008 go down as the day Joe McKnight officially stopped coping with being The Next Reggie Bush and arrived as the Trojans’ latest star,” wrote ESPN the Magazine‘s Bruce Feldman.In his junior season, he surpassed the 1,000-rushing yards plateau. Over the course of his career, he rushed for 100 yards in a game on eight occasions.McKnight, though, acknowledged the pressure of meeting expectations.“When I first came in to USC, I felt like I had to live up to the hype,” he said. “But after a while, I came to my senses…It’s not the fans’ fault, they just want success for their team. It took me a while to get that out of my head…I mean, it’s a lot of pressure. I tried to live up to the expectations.”McKnight declared for the NFL Draft after his junior season and was selected by the New York Jets in the fourth round. He appeared in 39 games with the Jets before being released in 2013. McKnight briefly was with the Kansas City Chiefs during the 2014 season. He spent the past season in the Canadian Football League.McKnight’s tragic death ignited reaction from the football world on social media.“Saddens me to hear the news about Joe McKnight,” USC head coach Clay Helton said on Twitter. “Our prayers go out to the McKnight family.”“This hurt to the heart. I can’t stop crying,” added Antonio Cromartie, McKnight’s former teammate with the Jets.Bush himself weighed in on McKnight’s death.“RIP my brother Joe McKnight this one hurts bad,” he tweeted.last_img read more

Bill seeks to increase statute of limitations for armed robbery

first_img07Nov Bill seeks to increase statute of limitations for armed robbery A bill introduced by state Rep. Diana Farrington calls for increasing the statute of limitations from six to 10 years for someone to be charged for armed robbery.“Only anybody who has been the victim of an armed robbery knows the incredible threat they face, not knowing if they’ll just lose their wallet or their life as well,” said Farrington, of Utica. “This bill adds armed robbery to the list of crimes such as kidnapping, extortion, attempted murder, manslaughter and home invasion, which allows victims up to 10 years to file charges.”Farrington testified today before the House Law and Justice Committee, with Derek Miller of the Macomb County Prosecutors’ Office and Clinton Township Police Department Capt. Richard Maierle also speaking in support of her legislation.“Armed robbery is a serious offense. It places a victim in more danger than other non-violent crimes, and yet, current law imposes the same limitations when filing a case,” Farrington said. “The statute of limitations should reflect the real threat of injury or death associated with this offense. We need to give our law enforcement agencies more tools to bring these criminals to justice.”House Bill 5010 remains under consideration of the House committee. Categories: Diana Farrington News,Newslast_img read more

Spanish pay TV provider Ono is offering its custom

first_imgSpanish pay TV provider Ono is offering its customers access to online multiplayer games service PlayStation Plus for €3.99 per-month.The price represents a saving of 40%, with customers billed for PlayStation Plus direct on their Ono bill.PlayStation Plus lets gamers access a collection of free games, get discounts in the PlayStation Store, while PS4 gamers are also able to play against friends online.last_img

YouTube channels with more than a million subscrib

first_imgYouTube channels with more than a million subscribers nearly doubled in the last year, while the number of creators earning five or six figures from the platform grew more than 40%.Susan WojcickiThese figures were revealed by YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki in an open letter posted to the YouTube Creators blog,  looking back on the past 12 months and setting out the video service’s plans for the year ahead.Wojcicki described 2018 as “unprecedented” and said that YouTube’s three priorities for the year ahead are: supporting creator and artist success; improving communication and engagement; and “living up to our responsibility”.In terms of creator support, YouTube said it has increased monetisation accuracy by 40% and is making it easier for creators to appeal when videos are deemed ineligible for monetisation – for example if the content is not considered advertiser friendly.“There’s still more work to do on both of these fronts and we’re committed to getting it right for everyone,” said Wojcicki.Last year the company expanded YouTube Music and YouTube Premium, expanding these from five to 29 countries. It also added other ways to help content creators diversify their revenues, including ‘super chat’, merchandise, ticketing and channel memberships – the latter of which can be deployed by YouTubers with 30,000 subscribers or more.Turning to communication and engagement, YouTube said it increased the number of responses it makes to content creators via social channels by 150% and made its response times 50% faster. It also said it held more than 480 events with over 18,000 creators last year – including ‘fanfests’, creator summits and workshops.“It’s the engagement between creators and viewers that truly sets YouTube apart from traditional media like TV,” said Wojcicki. “Our goal is to grow this in new ways. One addition last year was the Premieres feature that allows creators to generate a shared experience with fans around new videos… I’m sure we’ll see even more of these moments in 2019.”On the responsibility front, YouTube said it made a lot of improvements in 2018 but recognises “there’s still much more to do,” referring to issues like removing the content that violates its community guidelines and supporting journalism and education on the platform.Elsewhere, Wojcicki said that YouTube will “do better to tell our story in 2019” after its 2018 Rewind video – supposedly a recap of the videos, people, music and moments that defined 2018 – became the most disliked video on the internet with 15 million dislikes to date.She also thanked the YouTube community for helping to bring attention to the “unintended consequences” of Article 13. “The debate around Article 13 remains ongoing,” she said. “This could be decided in the next few weeks, so please keep speaking out on this critical issue for all YouTube creators.”To read Susan Wojcicki’s full letter to YouTube creators, click here.last_img read more