Mizoram’s ruling Congress party on Monday expelled R. Lalzirliana, three days after the veteran politician resigned as the poll-bound State’s Home Minister.Mr. Lalzirliana, a vice president of the party’s State unit, was regarded as the most influential Congress leader in Mizoram after Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla, who would be completing his second successive term when elections to the 40-member assembly are held by the year end.“We had to issue the expulsion order for the larger interest of the party and under the present circumstances,” C. Lalpianthanga, chairman of the disciplinary action committee of the Congress’s Mizoram State unit said in a statement, explaining the rationale behind the party’s decision. Mr. Lalpianthanga added that the party had tried to avoid expelling Mr. Lalzirliana, 69, who had been a “pillar of strength” and a “guiding force”.The Mizoram Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) had on September 14 served a show-cause notice to Mr. Lalzirliana — hours before he announced his resignation from the State Cabinet — asking him to clarify several statements reportedly made by him to the local media that could ‘affect the integrity’ of the party.There has been speculation in the local media in recent days that Mr. Lalzirliana may be set to join a rival party, with the most widely talked about possibility being the Mizo National Front (MNF). The MNF is a member of the North East Development Alliance of regional parties helmed by the Bharatiya Janata Party.While MNF president and former chief minister Zoramthanga has indicated Mr. Lalzirliana could join his party, speculation of a possible move to the National People’s Party also gathered momentum after Meghalaya’s Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong called on him at his residence in Aizawl last week.Mr. Lalzirliana, who is yet to spell out his plans, has, however, insisted that the recent chain of events had been triggered by his unwillingness to compromise over his demand for declaring Saitual and the area it administers a full-fledged district.“The Chief Minister had promised to upgrade Saitual into a district but failed to do so,” he said.Saitual is the major town of Tawi constituency that Mr. Lalzirliana has represented for four terms.Separately, the portfolios handled by the expelled leader including the crucial Home, Excise and Power ministries were put under the direct charge of Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla, according to a notification from the State government.
More than 2,000 contractual workers of Honda Motorcycles and Scooters India (HMSI) Private Limited sat on a dharna inside its Manesar plant in Sector 3 here on Tuesday — a day after 200 workers were told to proceed on a three-month leave citing economic slowdown.Around 150 police personnel were deployed inside the plant premises to prevent any law and order situation, said DCP (Manesar) Rajesh Kumar.HMSI employees’ union chief Suresh Gaur said that talks were on with the labour department and the management officials to work out a solution. “The company’s management has been illegally sacking contractual workers, asking them to go on leave for 3-4 months using slowdown as an excuse. The workers have families to support, they cannot survive without work for so long. If the management fails to find a solution, the permanent works will also join them in the protest,” said Mr. Gaur.The affected workers also staged simultaneous protest outside the plant. They claimed that around 2,000 employees had been told to go on leave over the past few months, and none of them were recalled.“It is a conspiracy to relieve the contract workers with higher wages and hire workers at lower wages. The three other plants of the company in Bangalore, Gujarat and Rajasthan are running smoothly, how come only the Manesar plant has been hit by the slowdown?,” Gulvinder, a protesting worker., demanded to know.Another worker Ajay Kumar said the workers should be suitably compensated if the company wanted to relieve them. “We must be paid one lakh rupees for each year of service offered in the company. It is difficult to get a new job at this age. Most of the workers are in their late 30s,” said Mr. Kumar.The protesters claimed that the contractual workers were given a 15-day service break every year, but this time they were being told to go on a long leave and were not being recalled. Most of the workers told to go on leave were employed for 5-10 years and worked on frame assembly.A delegation of the Centre of Indian Trade Unions, led by its Haryana president Satbir Singh, met the workers and extended support to them.In a press statement, the company said that 200 contractual members, whose term had completed, were relieved based on demand fluctuations and production adjustment. It further said that necessary recruitment would be considered on the basis of future market requirements.Additional Labour Commissioner (NCR) Manish Kumar said talks were on till late in the evening and the contractual workers were still holding a peaceful dharna inside the company premises. He said the talks were held with the plant’s head through video conferencing since he was in Switzerland, but no conclusion could be reached.
Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue MOST READ View comments Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Beermen hold off Hotshots to force Game 7 Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:30’Excited’ Terrence Romeo out to cherish first PBA finals appearance01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew LATEST STORIES “They dominated us in second chance points and offensive rebounds,” Victolero said.The Beermen hauled down 53 rebounds as compared to the Hotshots’ 40 while also scoring 31 second chance points.“We just try to stay positive. The Xs and Os will be secondary [come Game 7]. I told my players let’s just enjoy the game.”ADVERTISEMENT Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated “It boils down to one game. Do-or-die game on Wednesday. We’re still positive,” he said after a 98-86 loss to the Beermen at Araneta Coliseum. “We know that it’s not going to be easy. Good thing is we have another opportunity.”“I love our effort we were down by 18 and trimmed it down to six. It’s just that the lead was too big and it’s hard for us to win like that.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsVictolero attributed the loss to his team’s inability to control the boards a crucial department of the game that San Miguel dominated thanks to its reigning five-time MVP June Mar Fajardo.Fajardo dominated the paint, finishing with 23 points and 18 rebounds, 11 of which came on the offensive glass. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—Magnolia head coach Chito Victolero stayed upbeat despite the Hotshots’ loss to San Miguel Beer on Sunday that paved way for a Game 7 in the PBA Philippine Cup Finals.Victolero said he still liked what he saw from his team when it came back from 21 points down in the first half that threatened San Miguel Beer entering the fourth quarter.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid