Anil Kumar, a resident of Ambehta village in Saharanpur has approached the local court requesting action against the police for “illegally” picking him up from his home at midnight and arresting him without any evidence.Mr. Kumar was arrested in connection with the caste clashes between the dominant Thakurs and Dalits in the last week of May. Later the Special Investigative Team constituted to probe the violence during the caste clashes, found him and eight others, innocent. He was released last week.Plea for FIR against copsAfter his release, Mr. Kumar filed a petition in the local court with a plea to file an FIR against the Superintendent of Police, Rural Saharanpur, Vidya Sagar Mishra and the Station House Officer of Badgaon police station (under which Shabbirpur falls), Munendra Singh. The court has fixed July 10 as the next date of hearing when the police is expected to submit a reply.Mr. Kumar was not the only one against whom the SIT found no evidence. The probe showed that eight persons, arrested on charges of rioting and killing a person on May 23, were innocent. The eight, released after the SIT declaration, include two of Mr. Kumar’s nephews, Rohit and Abhishek, and his neighbours Harpal and Amrish.In his plea Mr. Kumar asked why he had been arrested when there was no evidence against him. He claimed his arrest had damaged his reputation in the society and was a “source of pain and trauma”.“It seems that the police arrested me despite knowing that there was no evidence against me. Even if one assumes that it can be a mistake in my case, then what is the explanation behind arrest of eight people without any evidence? Why it takes an SIT to show that our arrest was done without any evidence?” were some of the questioned raised by his plea.Beaten, humiliatedMr. Kumar who was in jail for over a month, spoke to the media after filing the case. “We were beaten badly by the police, which misbehaved, abused and humiliated us. What if there was no SIT to probe the caste violence? We could have stayed in jail for years till it was proved the cases slapped against us were fake and fabricated,” he said.He also alleged that there was pressure on him from the police to withdraw the case and threats of being framed in other false cases. The local police have vehemently denied the allegations.
Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, Hon. Olivia Grange, is encouraging Jamaicans to engender greater love of the family and community. According to Ms. Grange, it is love of family, home, community and country that inspired the nation’s forefathers to engage in the struggles leading to Jamaica’s Emancipation from slavery 180 years ago. Story Highlights “Let us say thanks to our people of all ages and eras who have been motivated by love of family to make their contribution to the development of Jamaica, Land We Love,” she added. Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, Hon. Olivia Grange, is encouraging Jamaicans to engender greater love of the family and community.She said that it is love of the immediate family that will prompt love of the community and, ultimately, country.Ms. Grange was speaking at Sunday’s (August 5) National Emancipation and Independence Thanksgiving Service at the Constant Spring Road Church of God, Kingston, which was held under the theme, ‘Jamaica 56: One Love…One Family’.Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, headed the dignitaries attending, who included South West St. Andrew Member of Parliament, Dr. Angela Brown Burke, who represented Opposition Leader, Dr. Peter Phillips. Both read Old and New Testament scriptures during the service.According to Ms. Grange, it is love of family, home, community and country that inspired the nation’s forefathers to engage in the struggles leading to Jamaica’s Emancipation from slavery 180 years ago.“It was that same love of family, in the broadest sense, that led to the efforts that resulted in Independence for Jamaica from Britain ,which we mark for the 56th time on Monday, August 6. It is the love of family that underlines the deeds of our National Heroes and the sacrifices that they made, which were, in some cases, the ultimate sacrifice,” the Minister added.Ms. Grange thanked Jamaicans who are serving the nation in various ways and giving of their best “continuously and selflessly for the good of all of us”.“Let us say thanks to our people of all ages and eras who have been motivated by love of family to make their contribution to the development of Jamaica, Land We Love,” she added.
Advertisement Facebook LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Login/Register With: Advertisement There once was a time we’d use descriptors like “shadowy,” “elusive” and “mysterious” when describing the Weeknd, but as all fans know at this point, those days are long gone. Driving that point home even further now is the news that Abel Tesfaye is becoming the new face of H&M.It’s been revealed that the Weeknd will be teaming up with the Swedish clothing retailer for a new menswear collection called “Spring Icons Selected by the Weeknd,” the Canadian Press reports. Twitter
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment The broadcaster, which is owned by an Ontario Crown corporation relies heavily on funding from Ontario’s Ministry of Education, says it has not seen an increased in the last two years despite rising operating costs and declining cable revenues, so programs and people must be cut.“We need the Ontario government to urgently review operational funding for TFO to maintain its critical Canadian cultural, political and social programming,” said Naureen Rivzi, Ontario Regional Director.The union received this grim news while in bargaining trying to reach a new collective agreement for the 80 technical staff at TFO.“These cuts will have a devastating impact on our members and on our francophone viewers who have limited options for local in their first language,” said Alfred St-Aubin, Vice President of local 72M which represents 80 technical staff at TFO.Unifor is Canada’s largest media union representing 12,000 workers in the sector across Canada and a total of 315,000 workers in every major area of the economy. The union advocates for all working people and their rights, fights for equality and social justice in Canada and abroad, and strives to create progressive change for a better future. TORONTO, June 13, 2018 – Canada’s largest media union is alarmed to see Ontario’s only French public broadcaster, Télévision française de l’Ontario (TFO), cut programs and lay off 37 workers, including 11 Unifor members.“Lack of provincial funding means the more than 600 thousand Ontario francophones will have fewer options to see Canadian programming, and our members are losing their jobs needlessly,” said Richard Paquin, Unifor National Representative. Advertisement TFO provides unique Canadian educational programming for children and adults in Ontario, but cable providers in Quebec, New Brunswick and Manitoba also carry it. The cuts include camera operators, editors, switcher directors, archivists, a purchaser, production assistant, props, and marketing staff represented by Unifor as well as journalists and non-union staff. Advertisement Advertisement Login/Register With: Twitter Facebook