An explosion has been reported Wednesday on board the Iranian tanker Sanchi, which has been burning for four days off the eastern coast of China, CNN informed citing local authorities.Due to the explosion, the 14 rescue vessels scavenging the area for potential survivors had to retreat. 31 mariners of the 32 members of Sanchi’s crew remain unaccounted for. The body of one crew member has been recovered.Local authorities warned earlier that there is a danger of the ship exploding, breaking into half and sinking, resulting in a major oil spill.Efforts to put out the fire continue to be underway for the fourth day since the collision between the tanker and a Hong Kong-flagged bulker CF Crystal. Nevertheless, the activities remain to be hampered by the fire and thick smoke billowing from the stricken vessel, along with harsh weather conditions.It is estimated that the fire could burn for a period ranging from two weeks to a month, Reuters reported earlier citing an official from South Korea’s Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries.The ill-fated tanker, owned by Bright Shipping Ltd and managed by National Iranian Tanker Co. (NITC), is loaded with 136,000 tons of Iranian crude oil.CF Crystal has berthed in Zhoushan since the incident where the maritime authorities will launch an investigation into the collision.World Maritime News Staff
HOUSTON–The San Francisco Giants won’t be wearing their traditional attire on Wednesday’s flight to Chicago.After wrapping up a two-game set in Houston Wednesday, the Giants will ditch their coats, dress shirts and slacks and instead don Golden State Warriors sweatsuits as they head to the airport.Giants hitting coach Alonzo Powell suggested the themed travel day for the club and clubhouse coordinator Brad Grems contacted the Warriors about securing some gear for the team to sport on the …
20 December 2012 South African Airways (SAA) and US Airways have signed a bilateral code share agreement that will provide the airlines with expanded access to destinations in both countries. “Through the codeshare agreement with US Airways, South African Airways’ valued clientele will gain new travel choices to markets across the United States via US Airways’ extensive network and hubs in Philadelphia, Charlotte and Phoenix, providing for seamless travel and status recognition through the respective frequent flyer programs,” SAA’s commercial acting general manager, Manoj Papa, said in a statement. “We are looking forward to introducing US Airways customers to our award-winning service, and to working closely with US Airways as our partnership will improve the connections between our respective networks.” The new partnership will offer the convenience of a single-ticket purchase, as well as the opportunity for SAA customers to earn and redeem Voyager miles. “US Airways’ new code share agreement with its first African code share partner creates a seamless travel experience for our customers travelling to various destinations on the African continent,” said US Airways marketing and planning senior vice president, Andrew Nocella. Pending approval from the Senegalese authorities, the code share agreement will also offer US Airways passengers access to Dakar in Senegal via SAA’s Johannesburg- Washington service. “US Airways values our current relationship with South African Airways as a Star Alliance partner and now as a code share partner, we look forward to strengthening this partnership,” Nocella said. US Airways customers will have access to SAA’s hub in Johannesburg, as well as connections to Cape Town, East London and Port Elizabeth. The agreement took effect on 19 December. SAinfo reporter
The BJP’s West Bengal unit has sought permission from the Kolkata police to conduct a dharna later this month at the same spot in the city where Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had organised a sit-in demonstration last week. The party has already sent a letter to the city police seeking permission for the dharna at the Metro Channel in the heart of the city between February 21 and 23, BJP State general secretary Sayantan Basu said on Monday. An e-mail would also be sent to the police in the matter, he said. The “Save Democracy” dharna will raise demand of “restoring democracy in the State”, he said. Mr. Basu said, “Whenever in the past we had asked for permission to organise a sit-in demonstration at the Metro Channel, the police denied us permission citing traffic rules. But if the Trinamool Congress was allowed to organise a dharna there, why can’t we do it?” Ms. Banerjee, also the Trinamool Congress chief, was on dharna from February 3 to 5 at the Metro Channel in Esplanade area to “Save the Constitution” after the CBI’s failed bid to question Kolkata Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar in connection with the chit fund cases. “We hope that we will also get the permission. We will not use loudspeakers as it is examination time,” the BJP leader said. When contacted, Kolkata Police officers said they were yet to receive any such application from the BJP. “If we receive it, we will take a call,” said an officer. The Metro Channel is also the same spot where Ms. Banerjee had held a 26-day fast against the acquisition of farm land for the Tata Motors’ small car unit at Singur in 2006.
Legendary Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan today made it clear he will continue to play cricket for another three years as he felt fit enough to feature in Indian Premier League and English county circuit.”I think my body is good enough to play cricket for another three years. I would like to play IPL and some county cricket in England. I have received some offers (from the counties) but can’t disclose them at this moment,” he said.Muralitharan was speaking at a felicitation function by his IPL team Chennai Super Super Kings here for taking 800 Test wickets.In a media interaction later, Muralitharan said that he had agreed to former Indian captain Anil Kumble’s offer to join him in starting an academy but refused to disclose the details of the venture.Asked whether he would play in next year’s World Cup in the sub continent, Muralitharan said, “It is still too early.I want to see how I play in the Champions League Twenty20 and then decide on the World Cup,” the 38-year-old Muralitharan said.Sanjay Manjrekar, who anchored the function, requested scribes before opening the floor for a question answer session not to pose questions on the match fixing allegations in Pakistan’s ongoing England tour.However, Muralitharan did answer a question on the issue, saying it is for the Pakistan Cricket Board and its English counterpart to deal with the situation and decide.”These are only allegations and I wouldn’t like to comment on these matters,” he said.advertisementMuralitharan said Harbhajan Singh has the best chance of reaching the 800 figure mark but he could not predict whether the Indian off-spinner would achieve the feat or not.”Harbhajan is only 29 and statistically it is possible for him to reach 800. But it is up to the bowler and I can’t predict anything. You should have the hunger to achieve anything,” he said.Manjrekar and former India captain S Venkataraghavan hosted a group discussion as part of the function.Tamil Nadu cricketers of Chennai Super Kings — Subramaniam Badrinath, Lakshmipathy Balaji, Ravichandran Ashwin, Anirudha Srikkanth and Shadab Jakati — and operations director V B Chandrasekar recalled their experiences with their famous colleague in IPL events.Venkatraghavan, part of the famous Indian spin quartet of yesteryears, showered praise on Muralitharan and discussed the finer points of spin bowling.Venkatraghavan presented Muralitharan a Super Kings team shirt with the number 800 printed on the back and Sri Lankan star immediately wore it on the stage.
Having been pulled out of Australia’s one-day team to prepare for India, then ignored by selectors for every match in the subcontinent, batsman Usman Khawaja is guarded about his chances of winning a Test recall for the Ashes.The stylish number three suffered a further blow on Thursday when he was left out of Australia’s one-day squad for next month’s Champions Trophy in England and Wales.Being excluded from the nation’s formidable one-day team is nothing to be ashamed about given the batting riches at selectors’ disposal.However, the India snub was a bitter pill to swallow for a player who had averaged 66.75 in the preceding Test series against Pakistan after topping the runs list in a losing cause against South Africa.Rubbing salt into the wounds, Khawaja was left to carry the drinks during the four-test series in India and watch his replacement Shaun Marsh manage only 151 runs at an average of 18.87 from his eight innings.”The most frustrating thing for me was not to play those three ODIs in New Zealand,” Khawaja told Fox Sports (www.foxsports.com.au).”I got pulled out of that series to prepare for India and then not playing was a bit hard.”The plain-spoken Khawaja has had a frosty relationship with selectors in the past.As Australia lurched to an emphatic defeat in Sri Lanka last year, he was axed, somewhat harshly, for the third and final Test along with opener Joe Burns.He made his displeasure with selectors clear.Still stinging from the omission, Khawaja told local media he and Burns were “scapegoats” for the team’s wider failures, an indiscretion that earned him a quiet “chat” with coach Darren Lehmann.advertisementFormer players and media pundits have repeatedly accused Australia’s selectors of being poor communicators and particularly ham-fisted in their handling of dropped players.But Khawaja said there were no hard feelings from his India disappointment, with Lehmann having gone out of his way to let him down easily.”To Boof’s credit I had a chat to him about all that stuff and he came up to me and he actually knew where I was at in that things had not worked out,” said the Pakistan-born 30-year-old.Khawaja is likely to be restored to Australia’s top order for the Ashes, given the left-hander’s fine record on home pitches over the past two seasons.But he has learnt not to look too far ahead.”It is the pinnacle of cricket when you represent Australia – playing against the old enemy,” he said.”But to be frank it is still far away and a lot can happen between now and the Ashes.”
Kareem Walker is the No. 1 running back in the 2016 and he’s committed to play at Ohio State. You probably don’t remember him committing, Buckeye fans, because he made his pledge during your team’s College Football Playoff National Championship Game. It’s understandable. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound back out of Wayne, New Jersey, is ranked the No. 9 player in the country by 247 Sports’ Composite Rankings. He’s talented enough to become one of the best running backs the Buckeyes have ever had – and they’ve had plenty. Former Ohio State greats Archie Griffin (1974, ’75) and Eddie George (1995) both won the Heisman Trophy during their time in Columbus. Could Walker become the third running back in Ohio State history to win the award (or, possibly, the fourth if Ezekiel Elliot takes it home in 2015)? Here he is posing in a Buckeye uniform with the trophy. Tb #BuckeyeNation #Heisman pic.twitter.com/gqMKyEFW26— AlⓂ️ightyReem (@_KareemWalker) January 19, 2015Ohio State currently has five commitments in the 2016 class – one five-star (Walker) and four four-stars.
Nigel Hayes is a smart young man. Following Wisconsin’s Elite Eight victory against Arizona, the Badgers’ sophomore forward was asked about Kentucky, his team’s potential opponent in the Final Four. Hayes, who scored eight points in the West Region final, refused to say anything about the undefeated Wildcats. He cited what happened to West Virginia and victory-guaranteeing Daxter Miles as the reason for his decision to keep quiet. Does Nigel Hayes want Kentucky? “I’m not going to go down that road. A young man tried that a couple days ago, and it didn’t work too well.”— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) March 29, 2015Hayes knows not to poke the bear. The bear is currently in a dogfight against Notre Dame, though. The Wildcats and the Fighting Irish are tied at halftime, 31-31. The game is being televised on TBS.
Minister of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Hon. Audley Shaw, has lauded winners of this year’s Praedial Larceny Prevention Unit (PLPU) Essay and Poster competition. Minister of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Hon. Audley Shaw, has lauded winners of this year’s Praedial Larceny Prevention Unit (PLPU) Essay and Poster competition.He was speaking at the competition’s awards ceremony, held today (August 28), at the Ministry, Hope Gardens, in Kingston.“Your bold step to enter this competition shows that you are all motivated to make a change. You are all forward thinkers and you are leaders; therefore, no matter what the decision of the judges, you have all won and Jamaica is all the better for having such bright young minds as you,” the Minister told the students.The competition was held as part of the PLPU’s public education campaign to sensitise Jamaicans about the devastating impact of praedial larceny on the agricultural sector and the livelihood of farmers.The main objective of the competition was to engender greater awareness of the preventative measures that could be implemented by farmers on their farms in order to reduce praedial larceny. It was open to primary and secondary schools across the island.Students at the primary level were required to design a poster depicting the theme ‘Praedial Larceny is Everybody’s Business. What measures should be taken to combat the theft of agricultural produce in Jamaica?’.Meanwhile, students at the secondary level were required to write an essay on the same theme.Eleven-year-old student of Belmont Park Primary in St. Catherine, Sehu Ra, emerged the winner in the poster category. For her effort, she was presented with a trophy, tablet, gift basket, gift bag, a scholarship valued at $10,000, a book voucher valued at 15,000, and a goat.Alaine Preston, Angelique Forrest and Angel Anderson of Ocho Rios Primary School in St. Ann were awarded second, third and consolation places, respectively. They were presented with trophies, gift baskets, bags, book vouchers, farm tools, seedlings, chicks and fruit trees.Meanwhile, Akeila Salmon, a 15-year-old student at Belair High School in Manchester, emerged winner in the essay category. For her winning essay, she received a tablet, a trophy, gift basket, gift bag, a scholarship valued at $20,000, a book voucher valued at $15,000, and a goat.Camara Hamilton, Herbert Morrison High School in St. James, placed second; Shaneka Davidson of Seaforth High School, St. Thomas, third place; and a consolation prize was awarded to Daren Brown of Campion College, in Kingston. They were also presented with trophies, gift baskets, bags, book vouchers, farm tools, seedlings, chicks and fruit trees.National Praedial Larceny Prevention Officer at the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF), Sergeant Damian Harry, said he was impressed with the quality of entries submitted in both categories.He lamented, however, that “we have a culture that sees farmers and issues concerning farmers as unimportant”.“One of the ways that we know would bridge this gap is through public education, and where best to start but with our students, our young minds,” he said.Mr. Harry said he is appealing for more organisations to come on board. “We need your support; we need to make people aware; we need to make the competition bigger and better for next year,” he said.Sponsors for this year’s competition were Crime Stop Jamaica, Hi-Pro Ace Supercentre, Jamaica Dairy Development Board, Jamaica Small Ruminants Association, JP Tropical Foods Limited, and Seprod Limited. “Your bold step to enter this competition shows that you are all motivated to make a change. You are all forward thinkers and you are leaders; therefore, no matter what the decision of the judges, you have all won and Jamaica is all the better for having such bright young minds as you,” the Minister told the students. He was speaking at the competition’s awards ceremony, held today (August 28), at the Ministry, Hope Gardens, in Kingston. Story Highlights