4 surgeries later, del Potro meets Djokovic in US Open final

first_imgCarpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View comments Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Amir Khan recovers to beat Samuel Vargas on points For the better part of two years, he dealt with pain in his right elbow. Djokovic shut himself down for the last half of 2017, sitting out the U.S. Open among other events and, after a brief attempt to play at the start of this season, had an operation in February.Now he is one win from a second consecutive Grand Slam title, after his triumph at Wimbledon in July.“It absolutely gives me empathy. Even before I went through the whole process of surgery, post-surgery recovery, I was still feeling for players that went through injuries,” Djokovic said.“There was always part of me that believed I could come back relatively quickly to the level of tennis that I once was playing. But at the same time, I felt like the six months off served me very well to find new motivation, inspiration, to recharge my batteries, and also to understand how I want to continue playing tennis, in which way, whether there are certain changes that I want to make with my racket and my game itself,” he continued. “I had more time to work on certain things.”This will be Djokovic’s eighth U.S. Open final, equaling Ivan Lendl and Pete Sampras for the most for a man in the 50-year professional era, but he is only 2-5 so far. In addition to seeking a third trophy at Flushing Meadows, he is trying to collect No. 14 from all Slams, which would pull even with Sampras for the third-most for a man, trailing only Federer’s 20 and Nadal’s 17.Djokovic is 14-4 against del Potro across their careers, including 4-0 at majors, and is pleased to see him at this level again.“I personally like him very much, not just as a player but as a person. He’s a dear friend, someone that I respect a lot. We all felt for his struggles with injuries that kept him away from the tour for two, three years,” Djokovic said. “But he was always a top-five player in the eyes, I think, of everyone, even when he dropped his ranking and started to work his way up. But we all knew that he has a capacity and a quality to get to the point where he is at the moment. It was just a matter of time.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum By then, so much time had passed since his crowning achievement, winning the 2009 U.S. Open at age 20 by beating Roger Federer in five sets in the final. So much of that time had felt wasted. And del Potro was in a dark place.As he prepares to play in his first Grand Slam final since that one nearly a decade ago, meeting 13-time major champion Novak Djokovic for the championship at Flushing Meadows on Sunday, del Potro seems at ease talking about it all.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’“I couldn’t find a way to fix my wrist problems. I (was) suffering a lot. I got depressed for a couple of months, also. I didn’t get the chance to feel better with myself, to do this again. That was the bad moment for me,” said the 6-foot-6 (1.98-meter) Argentine with the 100 mph (160 kph) forehand and 135 mph (215 kph) serves. “But I think that is completely in the past. And now I’m having a good present, looking forward for the future.”“Everything,” he added with a smile, “is almost perfect.” Now ranked a career-high No. 3, del Potro would establish a professional-era record for most major appearances from a first to a second such title, 22, if he wins Sunday.It was shortly after that triumph nine years ago in New York that del Potro’s surgery on his dominant right wrist happened. That was followed by three procedures on his left wrist, which sidelined him for 2½ years’ worth of Grand Slam tournaments.When he returned, he had to rebuild his backhand, first by relying solely on a slice, and only recently able to strike meaningful two-handed shots with confidence.“I’ve been fighting with many, many problems to get (to) this moment. I’m here now,” he said after advancing when defending champion Rafael Nadal quit after two sets in their semifinal because of right knee tendinitis.Djokovic can relate to the climb back from a body breakdown.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Juan Martin del Potro, of Argentina, reacts after Rafael Nadal, of Spain, retired from a match during the semifinals of the U.S. Open tennis tournament, Friday, Sept. 7, 2018, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)NEW YORK — It was in 2015, the year of his fourth wrist operation, that Juan Martin del Potro was pretty sure he’d had enough.Enough of the risks of surgery. Enough of working his way back only to get injured yet again. Enough, really, of tennis.ADVERTISEMENT Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownlast_img read more

Repurposed Mandela Centre to inspire

first_img28 May 2013 The newly refurbished Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory will soon be officially opened for South Africans and visitors to the country to explore and enjoy the legacy of the life and times of Nelson Mandela. Speaking to SAnews during an event to showcase the refurbished centre in Johannesburg on Monday, Sello Hatang, who will take over the reins as the centre’s CEO on June 1, said: “We’ve got a centre that is beginning to re-imagine itself as a public resource. “We hope that in August or September when we [officially] open, a lot of south Africans, people from other countries in Africa, including the global community, will be able to come and enjoy what we have here. “We want to serve as a centre that will galvanise people to do Mandela Day activities daily, organise people around dialogue, and share Madiba’s legacy.” Hatang said the facility represented the final transition of Mandela’s post-presidential office into a public and dialogue facility, as well as a physical home for Madiba’s legacy, adding that Mandela did not belong to any one institution, but was a global resource to be shared. Hatang noted that entry to the refurbished centre would be free but by appointment only, as the facility would not be able to cater to large numbers of visitors at the same time.50 years since arrival on Robben Island Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe, who attended Monday’s event, said the refurbishing of the centre also coincided with the 50th anniversary of Mandela’s arrival on Robben Island. It was on 27 May 1963 when Mandela arrived on Robben Island as a prisoner for the first time, just over six months after he was sentenced to five years in prison for leaving the country without a passport and inciting workers to strike. Motlanthe said Madiba was an iconic figure not only for the country, but for the international community as well. The Deputy President also emphasised the importance of archives in measuring progress towards goals. “Distance in a temporal sense is managed by the future as projected by those who came before us. We need to go back in time and mine the important resolutions and dreams from the archives to measure how far we’ve come,” he said. The acting chairperson of the Mandela Centre of Memory and chairperson of the Mandela Rhodes Foundation, Professor Njabulo Ndebele, said the three key objectives of the centre were to deliver to the world an integrated information resource on the life and times of Nelson Mandela; to convene dialogues on critical social issues of the day; and to share Madiba’s legacy through campaigns such as Mandela Day. The centre’s outgoing CEO, Achmat Dangor, said he had learned two important lessons from Mandela: firstly, that when you are fundraising, “don’t leave without the cheque”. And secondly, “when you bring people together who agree with one another, that’s a chat; but when they disagree and want to talk about it, that’s dialogue.”Exploring the centre Guests at Monday’s event were invited to browse the centre’s reading room and spend a moment in Madiba’s post-presidential office, which has been transformed into a public dialogue facility. The office has been preserved exactly as he left it in 2010. The upper level of the centre has been transformed into an interactive space for visitors, with a permanent exhibition called The Life & Times of Nelson Mandela. It will also feature a reading room for research and reference work, as well as facilities to host discussions. On the lower level, a high-tech archival storage facility has been created for the centre’s archival collections, including Madiba’s personal papers. Source: SAnews.gov.zalast_img read more

Ohio’s young hunters harvest nearly 6,000 deer during youth gun season

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Ohio’s young hunters braved less than ideal weather conditions over the weekend and checked 5,930 white-tailed deer during the two-day youth gun season, Nov. 19-20, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR). During last year’s youth gun season, 7,223 white-tailed deer were checked.Youth hunters could pursue deer with a legal shotgun, muzzleloader, handgun or specific straight-walled cartridge rifle and were required to be accompanied by a non-hunting adult during the two-day season. The youth deer-gun season is one of four special youth-only hunting seasons designed to offer a dedicated hunting experience for young hunters. Youth hunting seasons are also available for small game, wild turkey and waterfowl.Ohio offers many more opportunities for hunters of all ages to pursue deer. The deer-gun season is Monday, Nov. 28, through Sunday, Dec. 4, and Dec. 17-18. Deer-muzzleloader season is Saturday, Jan. 7, through Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2017. Deer-archery season is open now through Sunday, Feb. 5, 2017. Find complete details in the 2016-2017 Ohio Hunting and Trapping Regulations at wildohio.gov.Youth hunters can commemorate their hunt with a First Harvest certificate, available at wildohio.gov. Participants can upload a photo and type in their information to personalize the certificate. Hunters can also share photos by clicking on the Photo Gallery tab online.For summaries of past deer seasons, visit wildohio.gov/deerharvest.last_img read more

Quick Tip: Audio Syncing in Premiere Pro CC

first_imgAudio syncing in Premiere Pro CC is an often-overlooked feature, but it can save you a lot of time when editing.Top image from LucasFilmAs professional filmmakers or videographers, we know that our time is money. The more we can streamline our workflow process, the better. One opportunity to do this is during the audio syncing phase. For many years I’ve used PluralEyes, which still works perfectly. Unfortunately, its $200 price tag can be a little much for some content producers. However, there is a solution found directly within Premiere Pro CC and its internal audio-syncing feature.The process of syncing audio in Premiere Pro CC is actually really simple to pull off. It’s also super flexible. In fact, the number of audio clips you can merge into video clips is quite impressive. Here’s the official count from Adobe:You may merge one or multiple audio clips to a single video or AV clip. The total number of audio tracks permissable in a merged clip is 16, including any combination of mono, stereo or surround 5.1 clips.Syncing Multicam FootageWe’re going to show you two ways of syncing your audio. First up is Dave Dugdale. Mr. Dugdale shows us how to take a multicam setup and sync that with higher-end audio. Dugdale drags and drops all of the needed footage and audio into the timeline and then highlights all of the tracks. Once this is done, he right clicks and selects synchronize.Video from Dave DugdaleSyncing Footage Merge ClipsI use RED cameras in my production workflow, which don’t natively capture audio with a built-in mic like DSLRs do. What I like to do is attach a small mic to the RED in order to pick up scratch-track audio, and then I get my final audio with a field recorder. In this video from Curtis Judd, we learn how to sync our footage/scratch-track audio with our field audio using the Merge Clips option in Premiere Pro.Again, the process is pretty simple. You just highlight your footage and audio tracks in the bin, then right click and select merge clips. If you’ve gone through and given yourself a night slate, clap or snap somewhere and the video and audio should sync up very quickly.Video from Curtis JuddHave you ever used this feature in your workflow? Are there any other features in Premiere Pro that you would like us to spotlight? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!last_img read more

Five jawans injured in gun battle with Naxals in Chhattisgarh’s Sukma district

first_imgSukma, where Maoist insurgency and ancient myths dominate  The joint team, comprising personnel from STF, District Reserve Guard (DRG) and CoBRA (Commando Battalion for Resolute Action), was carrying out anti-Naxal operations in Chintagufa area, around 500 km from Raipur, he said. The team members were cordoning off a forest patch in southern part of Chintagufa when they came under fire from a group of Naxals, the IPS officer said. The security forces retaliated, triggering an exchange of fire, he said. The DIG said on getting information about the gun battle, reinforcement was rushed to the spot and efforts were on to evacuate the injured jawans. Further details were awaited, he added.On April 24, 2017, 25 CRPF personnel were killed in a Naxal ambush in Burkapal area under Chintagufa police station of limits of Sukma. Five special task force personnel were on June 24, 2017 injured in a fierce gun battle with Naxals in the dense forests of Chhattisgarh’s Sukma district, police said. The encounter is still on, they added.The exchange of fire is under way between a joint team of security forces and ultras in the interior forests of Chintagufa police station area, DIG (Dantewada range) Sundarraj. P told PTI. “As per the preliminary information, five STF jawans have sustained injuries in the encounter,” he said.Also Readlast_img read more