KOLKATA, India (CMC):West Indies arrived here early yesterday from Dubai to begin their final preparations for the Twenty20 World Cup, which is set to bowl off here today with qualifying matches.The 2012 champions spent the last two weeks in a preparation camp in United Arab Emirates (UAE), where they also played four unofficial T20 warm-up games – two against Zimbabwe in Sharjah and two versus English County Warwickshire in Dubai. They won all four fixtures.The Caribbean side play their two official warm-up matches at Eden Gardens, taking on hosts and powerhouses India on Thursday and Australia on Sunday.Bravo in New DelhiMedia reports here said star all-rounder Dwayne Bravo was not with the team at the hotel yesterday, having flown to New Delhi following his arrival from Dubai.However, a team official said the veteran T20 specialist would return in time for the Windies fixtures.”He has some personal commitments in New Delhi. He will return in time,” media reports quoted an unnamed team official as saying.West Indies are also awaiting a replacement for opener Lendl Simmons, who was forced to opt out of the squad last week after failing to recover from a back injury. The Trinidadian played no part in the camp in UAE.In recent weeks, West Indies have been hit by a number of high profile withdrawals from the squad. Kieron Pollard pulled out with injury, off-spinner Sunil Narine chose to complete the rehabilitation of his bowling action, while left-handed batsman Darren Bravo opted to represent Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in the ongoing Regional four-day championship.West Indies have been installed in Group A of the T20 World Cup and will play alongside South Africa, Sri Lanka and England.The winner of Group B in the qualifying tournament beginning today will join West Indies in Group One.
Farmers continue to burn stubble despite banVolume 90%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard ShortcutsPlay/PauseSPACEIncrease Volume↑Decrease Volume↓Seek Forward→Seek Backward←Captions On/OffcFullscreen/Exit FullscreenfMute/UnmutemSeek %0-9Live00:0001:1501:15 There has been a spike in agricultural fires — a phenomenon that’s known to worsen air pollution — in Punjab in September, significantly more than in the same month last year.Krunesh Garg, member-secretary, Punjab Pollution Control Board, said there were 107 fires from September 24-26. In 2018 there were only 11 fires during the same period. However, in 2016 and 2017 there were 106 and 150 fires respectively from September 27-30.Mr. Garg said last year’s numbers were unusually low because paddy harvesting was delayed due to the persistence of the monsoon. “Last year, the onset of monsoon was late and it persisted well into October. This year, harvesting of basmati varieties of rice has already begun, hence the apparent rise in September,” he said.Agricultural fires, in which farmers set fire to their fields after harvesting paddy, tend to begin around late September and peak around the last week of October by which time farmers have harvested most of their paddy. There were 80,879 fire incidents detected during the paddy harvesting season in 2016, 43,660 in 2017 and about 40,000 in 2018. “There was a 10% reduction last year from 2017 and we expect around the same reduction this year,” Mr. Garg said. Watch | Farmers continue to burn stubble despite ban Punjab’s fires tend to worsen Delhi’s pollution as particulate matter floats into the city, affecting the already polluted winter air.The Centre and Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh had — over several meetings last year — declared a “zero tolerance” policy on stubble burning by farmers which, according to various studies, contributes anywhere from 17% to 78% to the particulate matter emission load in Delhi during winter.Last year, the Union Agriculture Ministry earmarked ₹591 crore for disbursal to Punjab, Haryana and U.P. to help farmers access machines that collect or plough the stubble back into the soil.A senior official in the Union Agriculture Ministry said in spite of subsidies, the implements were “expensive” for the farmers and thus it was cheaper for them to set chaff ablaze.(With inputs fromPriscilla Jebaraj)
Transfers Lewandowski told to focus on Bayern amid Real Madrid links Alex Fisher 21:42 3/2/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Bongarts Transfers Real Madrid Freiburg v Bayern München Bayern München Bundesliga Robert Lewandowski Jupp Heynckes is unaware of any interest in his striker, but feels the Poland international is already at the ‘summit’ Robert Lewandowski has been urged to focus on Bayern Munich by coach Jupp Heynckes amid reports of a move to Real Madrid at the end of the season.Lewandowski’s future at Bayern has been the focus of speculation in recent weeks after he appointed Pini Zahavi as his new representative.Zahavi’s reported involvement in brokering Neymar’s world-record move from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain last year added fuel to the reports that the Poland international wants to leave the Allianz Arena. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player Madrid have been heavily linked with the striker after a disappointing La Liga campaign in which Karim Benzema has only managed four league goals in 20 appearances.However, with Bayern looking to win a domestic and European treble this season, Heynckes is keen for the 29-year-old’s head not to be turned.”Lewandowski would be well advised to focus on Bayern,” Heynckes said of the forward who has 20 Bundesliga goals this season.”He is internationally one of the best players in his position. Bayern Munich is something very special at European level. “I do not know if that [a move to Madrid] is speculation or dreams. I have no information about that.”If I were a player, I would always decide for Bayern. Bayern is the summit.”
In recent weeks a package of the 2006 NTL Mens, Womens and Mixed Open was shown on Fox TV. This was a great step forward for Touch as we have been off the main-stream television screens for quite a number of years.TFA would like to thank all of the state offices, who contributed financially to assist TFA in producing the package and having it shown. To date, the feedback has been extremely positive, with Touch fans Australia-wide complimenting the footage that was shown, as well as the clips introducing the sport and basic elements of the game. The success of the package was a credit to all of the staff, team management and players, who worked hard to ensure the sport was shown in a professional light. There was certainly no shortage of highlights for the package, with the Sydney Mets Mixed side putting on a touchdown show, the Womens Open final between the Mets and Sharks proving a very tight affair and the Mens Open final giving us one of the best NTL finals to date.(The Garry Sonda through-the-legs special was definitely one for the highlights reel!)With FOX Sports being available in around 1.75 million homes and over 6,000 commercial venues, the potential of the showing to increase awareness and knowledge of the sport is huge.Following on from the success of the showing in Australia, the package was also picked up by ABC Asia Pacific, who will be showing the package in up to 50-60 Asia Pacific nations in coming weeks. The package has already been shown in Hong Kong and here is a list of countries that may view the NTL Touch Football package in the future:Cook IslandsFijiFrench PolynesiaGuamSamoaKiribatiSolomon IslandsNauruNew CaledoniaNiueMarianasPalauPapua New GuineaTahitiTokelauTongaTuvaluVanuatuWallis and FutunaAfghanistanArmeniaAzerbaijanBangladeshBhutanBruneiCambodiaPeoples Republic of ChinaEast TimorFederated States of MicronesiaHong KongIndia IndonesiaKazakhstanLaosNepalSri-LankaTibetTurkmenistanUzbekistanJapanMacauMalaysiaMongoliaMyanmar (Burma) North KoreaPakistanPhilippinesSingaporeSouth KoreaRepublic of China (Taiwan)ThailandVietnam.TFA will be selling copies of the 2006 NTL package on DVD in the coming weeks, so if you missed out on seeing the package or want to see it again, keep an eye on the TFA website for when they’re available and for how to place your order.
Kareem Walker is the No. 1 running back in the 2016 and he’s committed to play at Ohio State. You probably don’t remember him committing, Buckeye fans, because he made his pledge during your team’s College Football Playoff National Championship Game. It’s understandable. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound back out of Wayne, New Jersey, is ranked the No. 9 player in the country by 247 Sports’ Composite Rankings. He’s talented enough to become one of the best running backs the Buckeyes have ever had – and they’ve had plenty. Former Ohio State greats Archie Griffin (1974, ’75) and Eddie George (1995) both won the Heisman Trophy during their time in Columbus. Could Walker become the third running back in Ohio State history to win the award (or, possibly, the fourth if Ezekiel Elliot takes it home in 2015)? Here he is posing in a Buckeye uniform with the trophy. Tb #BuckeyeNation #Heisman pic.twitter.com/gqMKyEFW26— AlⓂ️ightyReem (@_KareemWalker) January 19, 2015Ohio State currently has five commitments in the 2016 class – one five-star (Walker) and four four-stars.
Will FulerNo. 9 Notre Dame used some luck of the Irish to pull out a 34-27 victory over Virginia on the road. With starting quarterback Malik Zaire out of the game with what appeared to be a serious ankle injury, and his team trailing 27-26, back-up QB DeShone Kizer took the team downfield in the final minutes, tossing the game winning touchdown to wide receiver Will Fuller with 12 seconds remaining. Fuller’s game-winning score stunned the upset-minded Cavalier faithful. pic.twitter.com/o92NxfHftl— Luke Zimmermann (@lukezim) September 12, 2015Wow. What a gut-wrenching loss for Mike London and the Cavs, and what an escape for Brian Kelly and the Fighting Irish.
(On Thursday, Québec’s Indigenous Affairs Minister Geoffrey Kelly used ‘Indian time’ when asked why it took 8 years to write a piece of legislation. The term wasn’t received well.)Bruce SpenceSpecial to APTN National NewsEvery once in a while the phrase “Indian Time” rears its ugly head in discussions around the clean water coolers of modern day work places. Except in Aboriginal organizations. Ain’t nobody got time for that.For those of you who’ve never heard it, Indian Time means….in the vernacular of construction company foremen from bygone eras…. those damned Indians are always late.Just saying, that’s what it meant in my world.Kind of a racist thing to say though when it’s a human foible present in every people and culture the world over.How ignorant is it to attach the colloquialism to an entire people when there are individuals in every race in every country who couldn’t be on time for their own funerals if their life depended on it. I am one of those by the way.One of my best friends and mentors, an ex-military Saulteaux guy from Pine Creek, hated to be late and he never was. 10 minutes early was too late for him.As someone younger and wiser than me pointed out, we never had clocks. Didn’t need them. Winter has been coming aroundWinter has been coming around year in and year out around the same time since time immemorial.Same with spring, summer and autumn.So are the solstices, just in time for winter (or spring, or summer or fall) like clockwork.Those wild rice lakes were and still are ready for picking every September.Bottom line is, IT doesn’t exist.”firstname.lastname@example.orgBruce Spence is the lineup editor for APTN National News. He is based in Winnipeg.
Former Charlotte head coach Alan Major, right, hired by Ohio State. Courtesy: TNSAfter three seasons of not meeting expectations, it appears Ohio State coach Thad Matta is bringing back another member of his staff that brought him some of his best teams.Alan Major is returning to Matta’s staff for the 2016 season, but this time in a new role. The team said he will serve the role of director of recruiting and player development.Major has spent plenty of time working under Matta. He was an assistant coach to Matta at Xavier University from 2001 to 2004 and went on to OSU to coach under Matta again. From 2004 to 2010, Major helped to recruit and develop big men. He left after the 2010 season to serve as the head coach of UNC-Charlotte for five seasons where he accumulated a career record of 67-70 before leaving the team due to health issues during the 2014-2015 season.Prior to his time with Matta, Major served as an assistant coach at Cal Lutheran from 1992-95, Pacific from 1995-98, Southern Illinois from 1998-99 and Pacific again from 1999-2000.“Alan has many skills and talents above and beyond those he’s utilized as a coach over the years,” Matta said in an email. “I want him to help us develop a complete and well-rounded student-athlete. Alan is the perfect fit for this position.”Major is no stranger to developing players. In his vast college basketball career spanning 23 years serving as either assistant coach or head coach, he has coached such players as former OSU first round NBA selections Greg Oden, Mike Conley and Evan Turner as well as former Xavier star and first rounder David West and Pacific No. 1 overall selection Michael Olowokandi. Nearly everywhere he has gone, Major has found success. While Major worked with Matta both at Xavier and OSU, he contributed to a 234-77 record in his nine years. He reached the NCAA a total of seven times, once at Xavier reaching the Final Four (2004) and once going as far as the national championship game (2007). In 2008, the pair won the National Invitation Tournament title.Along with Major, OSU announced that former manager and graduate assistant Kyle Davis has been promoted to the video coordinator position vacated after Jake Diebler left for an assistant coaching job at Vanderbilt.Davis served as recruiting coordinator for the summer until Major was hired. As a graduate assistant in 2015-16, Davis helped the coaching staff with coordinating recruiting visits and preparing nearly all video footage used for game preparation. This is his first coaching job.
Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green, right, is stopped after catching a pass for a short gain by Cleveland Browns defensive back Joe Haden at FirstEnergy Stadium Sunday, Sept. 29. The Browns won, 17-6.Credit: Courtesy of MCTThe Cincinnati Bengals return home to face the undefeated New England Patriots this Sunday in a game that has great implications.If the Bengals pull out the win, last week’s loss to the Cleveland Browns will be viewed as an anomaly. But with a loss and perhaps another weak outing by quarterback Andy Dalton, the Bengals may find themselves searching for ways to salvage their season.At home, the Bengals (2-2) are undefeated and performed much better against the pass than they have on the road. They have held Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks in check, forcing Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers into a two interception performance and limiting Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers to 278 yards of total offense.Meanwhile on the road, Jay Cutler of the Chicago Bears and Brian Hoyer of the Browns were able to find the holes in Cincinnati’s secondary to help their respective teams win. Bengals fans can only hope that this pattern continues in week five when they face three-time Super Bowl winner Tom Brady.However, the Patriots, though undefeated, have question marks of their own. Brady began the season with a significantly inexperienced group of receivers who have struggled to stay on the same page as their quarterback. But the wide receivers have shown recent signs of improvement as both Kenbrell Thompkins (127 yards receiving) and Julian Edelman (118 yards receiving) had strong games last week against the Atlanta Falcons.On defense, New England must deal with the loss of defensive tackle Vince Wilfork who sustained a season-ending injury (achilles) against Atlanta. Wilfork is key to the Patriots’ ability to stop the run. Over the last five seasons, New England is ranked ninth against the rush with Wilfork on the field and dead last without him.But the Bengals cannot concern themselves with their opponents’ strengths and weaknesses at this point. They have the talent to beat almost any team in the league, as evidenced by their comeback victory over the Packers. But when they fail to execute on offense, they are capable of losing to any opponent, including a team depleted of its starting quarterback, just like the Browns.While Hoyer gave an inspired performance, Cincinnati’s lack of offense was the biggest factor in the loss. The Bengals converted only four of 14 third down attempts against Cleveland and gained only 16 first downs. Meanwhile, the Falcons lost to the Patriots in week four despite picking up 26 first downs. If offensive coordinator Jay Gruden cannot make the proper adjustments and Dalton continues to miss open receivers, the promise that surrounded the Bengals before the season will quickly vanish.
Advertisement Less than three months after signing an agreement with Millicom, Orange announced today that it has completed the acquisition of 100% of the mobile operator Tigo in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).The mobile market in the DRC is undergoing significant growth and is currently the largest mobile market in Central and West Africa, after Nigeria. With a population of more than 80 million people and a relatively low mobile penetration rate of 50% of the population, the country offers considerable growth potential for Orange. The consolidation of Orange’s and Tigo’s operations in the DRC will enable Orange to strengthen its presence in the country. – Advertisement – Commenting on this agreement, Bruno Mettling, Deputy Chief Executive Officer of Orange in charge of Operations in Africa and the Middle East, said: “We are extremely happy to announce the completion of the acquisition of Tigo by Orange DRC in a market marked by very strong growth potential. Through this strategic investment, Orange confirms its ambition to reinforce its presence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and accelerate the conditions in which it can develop its services through this consolidation.”This acquisition illustrates Orange’s development strategy in Africa where almost one in ten people are already customers. In this zone, the Group aims to reinforce its positions as a leader in the countries in which it is present.