Van Persie has missed Manchester United’s last six games following an ankle injury he suffered in the 2-1 defeat at Swansea on February 21. Manager Louis van Gaal said last week he did not expect the striker to be fit enough to return for Sunday’s game against Manchester City at Old Trafford, but Van Persie reported good news for United fans on Wednesday. The 31-year-old tweeted: “Back to training with the group today. Was a great session. Happy to be fit and able to play again. Looking forward to my next game!” Even if Van Gaal considers Van Persie to be fit to take part in the derby, it is hard to see how the former Arsenal front man would fit into the starting XI. United have hardly missed the Dutchman, who has scored just 10 goals this term. During his absence, the Red Devils have only lost once – against his former employers Arsenal in the FA Cup. United have recorded creditable victories over Tottenham and Liverpool and last Saturday they moved above City into third with a 3-1 win over Aston Villa. Wayne Rooney scored a stunning volley during the win. The United skipper has performed well up front in a 4-3-3 formation alongside Ashley Young and Juan Mata, who scored both goals in the 2-1 win at Anfield two-and-a-half weeks ago. Marouane Fellaini has also provided able and robust support from midfield. Victory for United this weekend would pile more misery on out-of-form City and improve Van Gaal’s chances of achieving his target of Champions League qualification. Once he returns from his summer break, he is likely to take United on a shortened pre-season tour, with the most likely destination the United States, it has emerged. Van Gaal made no secret of his annoyance at United’s pre-season schedule last summer. United had already committed themselves to a three-week long tour that took in five matches across five American cities by the time Van Gaal took over as manager. United travelled almost 13,500 miles on the trip, which included games in Los Angeles, Denver, Detroit, Washington DC and Miami – all against high-profile opposition. This summer’s tour is expected to see United take on fewer opponents and undertake less travel. The trip will have to be over a shorter period of time too as the Premier League season begins on August 8 – just eight weeks after the end of the international break. It is understood that Van Gaal will sign off plans for the tour in the coming weeks. Press Association Robin van Persie has declared himself fit for Sunday’s Manchester derby.
And no. I don’t think Ashwin must henceforth be referred to as the “Line of Punjab.”#AshwinMankads— Ramesh Srivats (@rameshsrivats) March 26, 2019In the post-match press conference, Ashwin reiterated that he had done nothing wrong. “It’s there within the rules of the game. I don’t understand where the spirit of the game comes, naturally if it’s there in the rules it’s there. I don’t understand the point of sporting or sportive in that point because it’s rules. What applies for one man does not apply for everyone else,” Ashwin said. Upton, though, was blunt in his criticism. “I think R Ashwin’s actions tonight speak for him and represent him. When I looked in the eyes of his teammates, I’m not sure it represented his teammates. We’ll leave it up to the IPL fans to decide if that’s the kind of thing they want to see, and we’ll leave it up to the cricket world to judge R Ashwin’s actions tonight,” Upton said with anger. For all the Latest Sports News News, Indian Premier League News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. In April 2017, the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) tweaked the rules and cleverly changed the title of the law related to Mankading, which stated that it was the batsman’s fault in case he got mankaded. The new law 41.16 notes: “If the non-striker is out of his/her ground from the moment the ball comes into play to the instant when the bowler would normally have been expected to release the ball, the bowler is permitted to attempt to run him/her out.” R Ashwin’s Mankading of Jos Buttler was the first-ever in history of IPL.Kings XI Punjab defeated Rajasthan Royals in Jaipur for the first time.Chris Gayle smashed 79 in the encounter while Jos Buttler hit 69. highlights This was not the first time that Buttler had been Mankaded, having been on the receiving end during the Edgbaston ODI between England and Sri Lanka in 2014 where Sri Lanka offspinner Sachithra Senanayake ran him out. Even for Ashwin, this was not the first time. In the 2012 tri-series in Australia, the offspinner had mankaded Sri Lanka’s Lahiru Thirimanne but the appeal was withdrawn by the-then captain Virender Sehwag. New Delhi: The clash between Rajasthan Royals and Kings XI Punjab at the Sawai Mansingh stadium on Monday witnessed a controversial moment when Ravichandran Ashwin mankaded Jos Buttler when the England batsman was batting on 69 and guiding Rajasthan Royals towards victory. However, in a flash, Ashwin removed the bails at the non-striker’s end and appealed for a run-out. The third umpire had a look and gave him out. This resulted in a fiery exchange between Buttler and Ashwin and when the batsman was given out, he was livid. In the post-match greetings, there was no eye contact between Buttler and Ashwin while Rajasthan Royals head coach Paddy Upton exchanged some terse words with the offspinner. The incident fueled plenty of criticism on social media, with the England players having a go at Ashwin. Many former players believed that Ashwin’s action went against the Spirit of the Game and that it was unwarranted. Some former Indian players and commentators supported Ashwin’s actions while even Australian players, notably Rajasthan Royals mentor Shane Warne had some harsh words for Ashwin’s action.
When redshirt sophomore center Dewayne Dedmon and junior center James Blasczyk graduated from high school in 2008, each had a better shot at knocking down a blindfolded full-court heave than knowing what the future had in store for them on the basketball court.Filling big shoes · Redshirt sophomore center Dewayne Dedmon is expected to make an immediate impact for the Trojans this season. – Mindy Curtis | Daily TrojanDedmon was headed to Antelope Valley College to go to school part-time, while simultaneously honing the basketball skills he’d just discovered playing organized basketball for the first time his senior year.Blasczyk, on the other hand, was ranked as a top-50 prospect in the state of Texas by Texashoops.com, and had decided to attend Texas A&M.Three-and-a-half years and several transfers later, the two 7-foot centers have joined forces, hoping to serve as a formidable front court duo for the USC men’s basketball team this season.“That’s a big matchup problem, because you’ve got two seven-footers that can rebound the ball,” Dedmon said. “If the other team has just one predominant big man, then the little guy is going to have to guard the other seven-footer on the team, so it’ll be a mismatch down low with that, and we’ll have openings.”After averaging 6.6 points and 7.8 rebounds for Antelope Valley College, Dedmon transferred to USC in 2010, sitting out all of last season in order to preserve three years of eligibility. Despite Dedmon’s inexperience, USC coach Kevin O’Neill insists Dedmon will be a future NBA draft selection — if he were to leave — come June.“There’s no question [Dedmon is] a first-round pick,” O’Neill told ESPN.com last summer. “And he’ll average a double-double in his first year [at USC].”Even still, Dedmon isn’t daunted by his pending Division-I debut.“It adds pressure, but at the same time, you’ve just got to keep playing your game,” Dedmon said.“Playing your game” is a bit tougher when wearing a cast, as Dedmon recently discovered. After breaking his right hand during a team practice Oct. 11, the 7-foot, 255-pound big man decided to turn his misfortune into inspiration by developing his naturally dominant, but little-used, left hand.“I’m actually left-handed, I just play with my right hand,” Dedmon said. “If I had a choice to go left or right, I would always go right. But now that this is forcing me to go left every time, I’m a lot more confident in it. I’ll definitely use both hands [in games].”The cast, however, was removed during the Trojans’ closed scrimmage Saturday against Air Force, and Dedmon is expected to be back in the lineup when the season begins Friday against CSU Northridge.According to Dedmon, a stronger left hand has helped him develop.“I feel like I’ve improved in every way,” Dedmon said.Blasczyk, a 7-foot-1, 260-pound bruiser with a soft shooting touch, is anxious to return to the hardwood after transferring twice that took him from Texas A&M to Lee College before eventually finding the right fit at USC.“I’ve pretty much been sitting out three years, so I’m ready to play,” Blasczyk said. “I redshirted twice, and I sat out at A&M.”Blasczyk’s interest in the Trojans stems from the warm, family vibe he feels from O’Neill and the rest of his staff.“I can walk into [Coach O’Neill’s] office any time I want,” Blasczyk said. “At A&M I had to schedule three weeks ahead of time to talk to [coach Mark] Turgeon. Even when I wanted to transfer, I had to schedule an appointment to tell them I wanted to transfer.”Now that Blasczyk has finally found his comfort zone at USC, he hopes to continue to progress in skills specific to his position.Dedmon is projected to be the Trojans’ starting center, but Blasczyk will play an important role coming off the bench and should log major minutes.In some instances, O’Neill might opt to send his two big men into the fray at the same time.“It gives us NBA-type size on the floor,” O’Neill said. “We’re experimenting a lot … with Dewayne at the three spot because he’s agile enough to do that, and a good enough shooter. We’re just trying to figure [who are] going to be our best five guys to have on the floor.”As for Dedmon’s anticipated responsibilities on the team, he has a number of goals in mind to assist the Trojans.“That’s why I’m here — to rebound, make shots and help us win,” Dedmon said.Blasczyk, on the other hand, identified one trait in particular he and Dedmon are determined to emulate all season long.“Toughness,” Blasczyk said.
But hey, we still have them for you because it’s fun to do this kind of thing.Here are three questions the Raptors have to answer this offseasonWill Kawhi Leonard be in Toronto?This might be the No. 1 question in all of the NBA this offseason after it was announced Kevin Durant had ruptured his Achilles. Leonard is the best player on the free-agent market and the Raptors have him — for now. Related News The Raptors won their first title in franchise history Thursday and now they have some serious questions to answer.They’re all obvious. We won’t lie to you. NBA Finals 2019: 3 reasons why the Raptors beat the Warriors What do you do with Danny Green?Danny Green is another player who ran into some problems at times this season, but he’s always been someone who is a bit streaky.He will be a free agent after this year, but he’s a valuable 3-point shooter and defender.But, he’ll be 32 next year and it may be more logical to bring in a younger player to match what he does on the floor. Younger players, however, haven’t been where Green has. He’s a veteran of 123 playoff games and has made appearances in three NBA Finals. Odds are those stats won’t be on the open market. So, did Toronto do enough this season to convince Leonard to stay? Or will he move on to another team?Whatever the star forward decides will determine the team’s future going forward. If he re-signs, the Raptors are instantly a favorite to get back to the NBA Finals. If he leaves, they may have to start building around Pascal Siakam.Do they want to keep Marc Gasol?Marc Gasol is a great defender, a good offensive player and has been a pivotal part of the Raptors’ postseason run. But is he a player Toronto wants to bring back?He struggled to fit into the team’s push-the-pace offense for a good portion of the playoffs and will be going into his age-35 season next year. He has a player option for 2019-20, so he could simply opt in and come back, but it remains to be seen if he even wants to do that.So, was he just a rental or is he part of the team’s future? NBA Finals 2019: 3 reasons why the Warriors lost to the Raptors NBA Finals 2019: 7 key stats from the Raptors’ championship run
Vendor Savitree Persaud (partially hidden)Come what may, rain or shine, vendors in the Anna Regina Market, Region Two (Pomeroon- Supenaam) remain optimistic that things will improve and that their lives will get better.This belief motivates the many vendors to turn out daily even though they lament that business is not as profitable as in previous years.Many of the businesses have faced challenges over the past few months, as the Anna Regina Town Council, in efforts to create a more conducive environment for vending, have dismantled stalls and displaced many vendors; however they continue to vend with their makeshift stalls.A visit to the busy market on Friday revealed that business started later than usual, as it takes extra effort and time for the vendors to assemble their makeshift stalls before organising their items for sale.According to vendor Savitree Persaud there are too many vendors and less customers. Persaud sells fruits and vegetables and explained that business for her is very slow and not profitable: “Nothing is happening, people not buying, things so slow, everyone think Friday money will roll but nothing selling, noting doing.”Another clothes and food vendor Cora Coates explained that she was forced to merge two stalls into one in an effort to meet her needs; she also blamed the recent action of the council for her present hardship.Coates also pointed out that business is very slow and blamed it, in part, on the struggling economy. She said that many persons continue to vend under the circumstances so that they can earn an honest living and provide for their family.Another vendor Jenifer (only name given) who sells only on Fridays explained her business is very slow and attributed this to the struggling rice industry: “Imagine it is midday and nothing aint sell. I didn’t even sell $1500 yet, and I have to hire a car to go to the market; this year it really hard.”Like other vendors, Maylene Nurse and a Ms Walcott said that their businesses are in trouble. Walcott related that she is exercising patience and hoping for this best. Nurse has been vending over 40 years and described this year as the slowest in terms of sales.Many vendors blame the slow business on the sluggish rice industry. Many of them have called on government to stimulate the industry by offering some form of incentives/assistance to rice farmers so that the industry may continue to flourish and boost the Region Two economy.Better price for rice farmers means more business for local investors, were the chorus of the vendors.