Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police Sulkhan Singh has asked officials to book those accused of cow slaughter or trafficking in cattle for slaughter under the National Security Act (NSA) and the Gangsters Act.“Cow slaughter and transportation of cattle for slaughter must be strictly prevented,” Mr. Singh told SPs and SSPs.This is not the first time that the State government has promised stringent punishment for cow slaughter.In 2014, the Akhilesh Yadav government gave its approval to slap the Gangsters Act and the Goondas Act on those accused of cow slaughter. The State government had made an amendment to the Acts to include the offence.Soon after taking charge in April, Mr. Singh vowed “strict action” against those involved in “vigilantism” for cow protection and asserted that no citizen had the “right to intervene.”However, his latest note to district police chiefs, comprising over 30 points, including instructions on handling cow slaughter, does not mention vigilante groups or the self-designated ‘gau rakshaks.’‘An intimidation’U.P. vice-president of the All India Jamiatul Quresh, Shakeel Qureshi, says that by issuing such orders, the State police were further intimidating those involved in cattle trade.“Such rules harass those involved in the business,” said Mr. Qureshi.He demanded that if those accused of cow slaughter or trafficking in cattle were to be booked under the NSA and the Gangsters Act, similar action should be taken against vigilante groups.
Anil Kumar, a resident of Ambehta village in Saharanpur has approached the local court requesting action against the police for “illegally” picking him up from his home at midnight and arresting him without any evidence.Mr. Kumar was arrested in connection with the caste clashes between the dominant Thakurs and Dalits in the last week of May. Later the Special Investigative Team constituted to probe the violence during the caste clashes, found him and eight others, innocent. He was released last week.Plea for FIR against copsAfter his release, Mr. Kumar filed a petition in the local court with a plea to file an FIR against the Superintendent of Police, Rural Saharanpur, Vidya Sagar Mishra and the Station House Officer of Badgaon police station (under which Shabbirpur falls), Munendra Singh. The court has fixed July 10 as the next date of hearing when the police is expected to submit a reply.Mr. Kumar was not the only one against whom the SIT found no evidence. The probe showed that eight persons, arrested on charges of rioting and killing a person on May 23, were innocent. The eight, released after the SIT declaration, include two of Mr. Kumar’s nephews, Rohit and Abhishek, and his neighbours Harpal and Amrish.In his plea Mr. Kumar asked why he had been arrested when there was no evidence against him. He claimed his arrest had damaged his reputation in the society and was a “source of pain and trauma”.“It seems that the police arrested me despite knowing that there was no evidence against me. Even if one assumes that it can be a mistake in my case, then what is the explanation behind arrest of eight people without any evidence? Why it takes an SIT to show that our arrest was done without any evidence?” were some of the questioned raised by his plea.Beaten, humiliatedMr. Kumar who was in jail for over a month, spoke to the media after filing the case. “We were beaten badly by the police, which misbehaved, abused and humiliated us. What if there was no SIT to probe the caste violence? We could have stayed in jail for years till it was proved the cases slapped against us were fake and fabricated,” he said.He also alleged that there was pressure on him from the police to withdraw the case and threats of being framed in other false cases. The local police have vehemently denied the allegations.
Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. NBA: Paul believes blockbuster trade will benefit both Rockets, Clippers Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong MOST READ LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Napa himself confirmed the move and the mentor said the addition of the former ace Knight would serve as a huge boost for the squad in this year’s campaign.“Kerby is a huge part for us, especially with his experience in the PBA. He can teach the players on how to handle some situations and that’s the aspect which he can really help us,” he said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsNapa noted that Raymundo’s resume alone is enough testament on what the newest assistant coach can bring to the table.“He’s Kerby Raymundo. When you talk about Letran, you cannot talk about Kerby Raymundo, so he’s really a big boost for us that he’s here,” said the soft-spoken bench tactician. For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. LATEST STORIES View comments Kerby Raymundo. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netKerby Raymundo is back home.The 1999 NCAA Most Valuable Player has made his way to the sidelines, joining Jeff Napa’s coaching staff to serve his alma mater Letran for NCAA Season 93.ADVERTISEMENT Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Lacson: PH lost about P161.5B tax revenue from big trading partners in 2017 PLAY LIST 03:46Lacson: PH lost about P161.5B tax revenue from big trading partners in 201702:09‘Very evasive cop’ ordered detained in Bilibid02:04‘Very evasive cop’ ordered detained in Pasay City jail by Senate02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes
Image Courtesy: MaerskAfter the Danish shipping company Maersk admitted to duplicity in vessel recycling, the NGO Shipbreaking Platform’s Executive Director Patrizia Heidegger has called on “the world’s leading ship owner to become a true leader for clean and safe ship recycling.”In order to do so, Heidegger said that the company should opt for “investing in and working with modern ship recycling yards off the beach that can guarantee the highest standard of environmental protection, hazardous waste treatment and occupational health and safety for workers.”She explained that, by practicing duplicity in vessel recycling, Maersk “created strong financial incentives for their business partners to scrap old ships in the beaching yards of Bangladesh and India.”“Maersk sorted out its fleet by selling older vessels to other ship owners, chartered the ships back immediately to keep them in their fleet as long as convenient – and then motivated the other owners do the dirty job,” according to Heidegger.Maersk earlier admitted that its own contracts from divestments “have not always guaranteed the intention” of the company’s recycling policy.The ship owner has thus tightened its procedures and contract requirements while also realizing that the solution “does not lie with clever contracts and that it may take a long time for a global agreement to become effective,” according to Annette Stube, Head of Maersk Group Sustainability.World Maritime News Staff