Sydney-area residents can look forward to a new park, sports field, outdoor stage, pedestrian bridges, trails and more, part of a plan for the future use of the former Tar Ponds and Coke Ovens sites, announced today, Oct. 28. The government of Canada and the province have awarded up to $17 million in contracts to build the park and green space. Successful bidders include Municipal Ready Mix Limited, Sydney, and Denko Mi’Kmaq Enterprises Limited, Eskasoni. “These contracts will generate more economic opportunities for businesses in the Sydney area and more good jobs,” said Deputy Premier Frank Corbett. “The province is proud to support this work to transform these sites into a place where we want to be, where we recognize the history of our people and our land, and sow the seeds of change for future generations.” The Sydney Tar Ponds Cleanup has delivered 48 contracts to businesses and more than 1,100 full-time equivalent jobs. It has provided meaningful training and employment opportunities for the people of Cape Breton and Nova Scotia, benefitting First Nations communities, African Nova Scotians, women in trades and technology, and many others. “Our government remains focused on what matters to Canadians – jobs and economic growth,” said federal Minister of Labour Lisa Raitt, on behalf of Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works. “In addition to the environmental and health benefits of remediating this site, the final land use construction will continue to build on the project’s economic benefits locally and build a foundation for future economic growth in Cape Breton.” The community liaison committee for the Sydney Tar Ponds and Coke Ovens remediation had an important role in developing the plan for the future use of the land. “It is extremely gratifying to see the park area and green space taking shape on the former steel plant property,” said Alastair MacLeod, committee chair. “With green grass already covering much of the site, the final transformation is at hand, and the revitalized land will be returned to the people of Sydney.” Construction on the final land use projects began this month and is scheduled for completion in August 2013. The clean-up project remains within its $400 million budget, cost-shared between the federal and provincial governments. The project is on schedule for completion by March 2014. An artist’s rendering of the future park space on the former south and north tar ponds, and green space on the former coke ovens site, is available on the Sydney Tar Ponds Agency website at www.tarpondscleanup.ca under Focus on the Future.
He said the China had earlier invited investors to their country by granting concessions and the country saw rapid development. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe says Sri Lanka needs investments from China and so it has invited investors to come to the country.The Prime Minister’s office quoted the Prime Minister as saying that earlier Sri Lanka had sent investors to China but now Chinese investors are willing to come to Sri Lanka. He also said that Sri Lanka is working on several deals to increase exports and there should not be objections to those initiatives.“Investors are willing to come here because of the political stability,” he said.The Prime Minister urged all Sri Lankans to support the Government and its policy to open the country to more foreign investments. (Colombo Gazette) The opposition has been raising concerns over some of the foreign investment projects in Sri Lanka.The Prime Minister said that such projects will open employment opportunities for the youth in Sri Lanka. The Prime Minister noted that even countries like India and Vietnam had developed by inviting foreign investors.