HMAS Tobruk Arrives in Philippines Training & Education View post tag: Arrives View post tag: Tobruk Back to overview,Home naval-today HMAS Tobruk Arrives in Philippines View post tag: Philippines View post tag: Defence November 27, 2013 View post tag: HMAS HMAS Tobruk has arrived to commence recovery support operations in the Ormoc region of Leyte Island to assist the Philippines government repair the damage caused by Typhoon Haiyan.HMAS Tobruk, which sailed from Townsville on 18 November with a Recovery Support Force onboard, arrived yesterday and is disembarking Army personnel from Townsville’s 3rd Combat Engineer Regiment today by landing craft. The engineers will commence a range of tasks from tomorrow, including road clearing and quick impact tasks such as debris clean-up in public areas.Commander of Joint Task Force 630 Lieutenant Colonel Rod Lang, from the Army’s Deployable Joint Task Force Headquarters in Brisbane, says the area received widespread damage from the typhoon and will benefit greatly from Australian assistance.“We visited this area last week and it was devastated. Most houses were destroyed or without roofs, but despite this the people were calm and doing the best they could,” Lieutenant Colonel Lang said.“The Joint Task Force of Navy, Army and Air Force elements will provide assistance, together with other Australian government agencies, to the Philippines government to help the people of the region recover and move on with their lives.”A reconnaissance by Defence and Australian government personnel last week in the Ormoc region highlighted the widespread damage caused by Typhoon Haiyan. Local Philippine officials estimated most structures in the region suffered some form of damage from high winds and identified the area would benefit greatly from Australian assistance.The Recovery Support Force is supported by a team of Navy, Army, Air Force and Australian government personnel based at Ormoc Airport on the Island of Leyte and Mactan International Airport at Cebu. Airlift support to the task force is being provided by Royal Australian Air Force C-130J Hercules and C-17A Globemaster aircraft.Including those embarked in HMAS Tobruk, more than 500 ADF personnel are deployed in support of Operation PHILIPPINES ASSIST.[mappress]Press Release, November 27, 2013; Image: Australian Navy View post tag: Navy View post tag: Naval Share this article View post tag: News by topic View post tag: Defense
Indianapolis, In. — A new poll shows Indiana voters of all party and political affiliations strongly support raising the state’s cigarette tax by $2.00 a pack as a smart solution to improve Indiana’s critically poor public health rankings, save Hoosier lives, and develop a strong workforce. Seventy percent of voters overall support the $2 increase with some revenue being dedicated to tobacco prevention programs to keep kids from using tobacco and help smokers quit. The poll also finds that two-thirds of voters are more likely to support a state legislator who supports a tobacco tax increase.Nearly eight-in-10 (78 percent) of voters said they would be more likely to support a state legislator who says that “Indiana has to be willing to spend money to improve its poor public health rating; it’s not enough to be a top ten business state, Indiana needs to strive to be a top 10 healthy state.” Indiana is behind the curve on public health. Since Indiana last increased its cigarette tax in July 2007, 35 states and DC have increased their cigarette tax rates 70 times.“As Indiana legislators address the state’s potential budget deficit and aim to improve the state’s competitiveness, these poll findings show that voters have a rather clear message for them: raise the state’s cigarette tax significantly,” said Christine Matthews, President of Bellwether Research & Consulting, which conducted the polling. “A $2.00-per-pack increase will help the state combat the budget challenges, improve the state’s workforce, make Hoosiers healthier, and improve the state’s standing compared with other states.”When asked about potential ways the legislature could address the state’s potential revenue gap – including a gaming income tax increase, a toll road fee increase on all vehicles, and a sales tax on services – the results were strikingly clear. Voters strongly supported only one: increasing the state’s cigarette tax.Experts estimate that a $2.00 increase in the state’s cigarette tax would generate more than $2.6 billion in long-term health care cost savings and over $350 million in new revenue in the first year alone. Such an increase would also help 70,000 adults quit smoking, prevent 14,000 smoking-affected pregnancies, stop 12,000 youth under 18 from ever becoming smokers, and would prevent 58,000 children now under 18 from becoming lifelong adult smokers.Other key findings from the poll include:Hoosier voters do not like how Indiana stacks up with other states on smoking. Fully 80 percent agree with the statement: “Indiana’s smoking rate is among the worst in the nation – ahead of only Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, West Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky. This is not where the state wants to be – we need to prioritize and fund more programs to keep kids from smoking and help smokers quit.”Support for a $2.00 cigarette tax increase is higher among women (74 percent) than men (65 percent) and notably high among college-educated women (82 percent).In addition to tobacco prevention, voters support the cigarette tax revenue going toward a number of other state priorities, including: the Healthy Indiana Plan that provides health insurance for low-income Hoosiers (79 percent), hire additional caseworkers at the Department of Child Services (78 percent), fund K-12 education (78 percent) and, specifically, increase teacher pay (75 percent).64 percent of Republicans support a $2.00 per pack increase in the cigarette tax; 80 percent of Democrats support the increase.The poll, conducted by Bellwether Research and Consulting and paid for by the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, was conducted Dec. 9-12, 2018, of 600 registered Indiana voters with a margin of error of +/- 4%.
The Los Angeles Times is reporting that hundreds of thousands of Los Angeles County residents may have been infected with the coronavirus by early April, far outpacing the number of officially confirmed cases, according to a report released Monday.The initial results from the first large-scale study tracking the spread of the coronavirus in the county found that 4.1% of adults have antibodies to the virus in their blood, an indication of past exposure. That translates to roughly 221,000 to 442,000 adults who have recovered from an infection, according to the researchers conducting the study. The county had reported fewer than 8,000 cases at that time. The findings also suggest the fatality rate may be much lower than previously thought. This discrepancy also means that the U.S. could be inching closer to herd immunity which is when most of a population is immune to an infectious disease because they’ve had it. Usually 70% to 90% of a population needs immunity to achieve herd immunity which absent a vaccine, would be key to a return to normal life. The early results from L.A. County come three days after Stanford researchers reported that the coronavirus appears to have circulated much more widely in Santa Clara County than previously thought.Though the county had reported roughly 1,000 cases in early April, the Stanford researchers estimate the actual number was 48,000 to 81,000.The findings indicate that a significant portion of those carrying the virus apparently don’t show no symptoms at all, and therefore are unknowingly infecting others.Dr. Deborah Birx, the coordinator of President Trump’s coronavirus task force, said during the White House briefing that the USC results underscore “concern about asymptomatic spread” because it is harder to trace.“This has been the fundamental question to begin with,” she said, emphasizing the importance of treating the disease as “highly contagious.”The news out of Los Angeles is in line with the exclusive reporting 850WFTL did last month on the true number of exposures to COVID-19 and when infections really began.Infectious diseases expert Dr. Aileen Marty from FIU in Miami told Jen and Bill on March 16th, that the novel coronavirus numbers in the U.S. are wrong today because the disease has been here infecting us for months. Therefore, she says the number of confirmed cases and deaths in America and are too low. Dr. Marty believes infections in the U.S. began in January 2020. Click here for more on 850 WFTL’s reporting from March 16th.
Fergal – who officiated at last years All Ireland Senior hurling final – told Tipp FM Sport that he’s looking forward to the 2018 campaign. Top inter county referee Fergal Horgan is raring to go for the new season. The Knockavilla native has fast become one of the top rated officials in the country. The national leagues get underway next weekend – with the Tipp footballers in Cork on Saturday evening and the hurlers in Ennis on Sunday.
How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error EL SEGUNDO — As Magic Johnson cranked up the heat around the Lakers’ front office, Rob Pelinka attempted a different approach: standing down.The Lakers’ general manager spent most of a Monday morning press conference, meant to introduce new head coach Frank Vogel, deflecting accusations sparked by Johnson, who abruptly resigned as president of basketball operations on April 9.Johnson accused Pelinka of “backstabbing” him by telling league personnel and even Johnson’s friends outside of basketball that he was not often in the Lakers’ office. Pelinka responded by calling the charges “not true” and suggesting Johnson’s understanding was misguided by third parties. He said he enjoyed his two years working alongside Johnson, and that they had spoken since his resignation – as recently as a few days before Johnson smeared him on national television.“These things are surprising to hear and disheartening,” Pelinka said. “But I look forward to the opportunity to talk with him and sit down with him and work through them just like in any relationship. They’re just simply not true. I stand beside him, I stand with him as a colleague, as a partner, I’ve always supported everything he’s done and will continue to.” Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed Lakers, Clippers schedules set for first round of NBA playoffs Trail Blazers beat Grizzlies in play-in, earn first-round series with the Lakers AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersPelinka called Johnson an “unbelievable person to work with” who “fills the room with joy and vision.” It was a drastically different tone than what Johnson had to say about his former right-hand man.Johnson launched his salvo on ESPN’s morning show “First Take”, with Pelinka taking the brunt of the blows. Even though Johnson himself acknowledged splitting time between his Lakers role and his outside businesses (Johnson also is a part-owner of the Dodgers), he said he felt undercut by Pelinka who he thought sought more power within the organization.“If you’re going to talk about betrayal, it’s only with Rob,” he said. “I wasn’t having fun going to work, knowing that you want my position.”But Johnson also said his power was undermined in other ways by other Lakers staffers: He cited a meeting with team owner Jeanie Buss and chief operating officer Tim Harris in his final week with the Lakers when Harris, who oversees the business side of the franchise, argued to keep then-head coach Luke Walton when Johnson wanted to fire him.Johnson called it “the final straw” in his decision to quit, which he made public in an impromptu press conference without warning Buss or anyone else within the Lakers. Lakers practice early hoping to answer all questions He also cited strain from being a mentor to president of the South Bay Lakers Joey Buss and director of scouting Jesse Buss, who are half-brothers to Jeanie Buss. He said both saw themselves in higher roles within the team hierarchy.Johnson took accountability for several miscues from a 37-45 season, including allowing free agent Brook Lopez to walk and not signing enough shooters. He attempted to justify other moves that have been criticized, including the decision to trade D’Angelo Russell, who has become an All-Star in Brooklyn.But at the end of the day, Johnson surmised, there were “too many voices” directing the Lakers, which had led them to make other mistakes. Missing on Ty Lue in the head coaching search was apparently one of them in Johnson’s eyes: “Vogel is a good coach, but Lue is better,” he said.The Lakers attempted to counter Johnson’s narrative with a show of strength: Much of the team’s front office sat in the front row at Vogel’s introductory press conference, including Joey and Jesse Buss, Ryan West and Nick Mazzella. Kurt Rambis, a special advisor, stood in the wings, as did star player LeBron James. Notably, Jeanie Buss did not appear publicly at the press conference, but she was in the building on Monday watching it unfold.Pelinka painted the Lakers’ collaborative structure as a strength rather than a weakness.“I think the most important thing is that players look to who we really are and not what the impression is of what others are trying to create us to be,” he said. “And I think all of us know when we come to work every day that there is stability and strength and togetherness here.”Pelinka brought some clarity to the apparent streamlining of power within the Lakers: Johnson’s position as team president has been eliminated. Pelinka now reports directly to Jeanie Buss, making recommendations on all basketball matters for her to either approve or reject. He cited Vogel’s hire as a decision that he had made with Buss’ sole approval.Pelinka claimed that Kurt Rambis and Linda Rambis, two figures who appear to have gained increased influence on the Lakers’ key decisions, have remained in the roles they had before Johnson left.Related Articles Vogel said he couldn’t speak to Johnson’s experiences with Pelinka before he arrived, but that his dealings while going through the hiring process had been good. He described Pelinka’s values and vision as aligned with his own.“I’ve been very impressed with him as a front office man, the vision that he has for what we’re going to build with the roster, and I really look forward to working with him, honestly,” Vogel said. “It’s been all positive. It really has.”While Pelinka did his best to douse Johnson’s most serious accusations, one of the hardest outstanding claims Johnson made is that Pelinka cannot be trusted – a perception that has been reported in other corners of the NBA. But Pelinka said his ability to perform as a GM hasn’t been compromised, whether that perception is true or simply another rumor that has gained outsized steam.“My job is to not worry about what other people may think or say about me as a person,” he said. “My job is to do the work and what’s best for this franchise. I think that’s where my focus is. We all know in sports, that when you’re winning, great things are said. When you’re losing, the naysayers and the negativity comes out. That’s just the nature of this business.”